The Graduate Teaching Certificate recognizes graduate teaching assistants (GA/RA/TAs) for their participation in the development programs offered by the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center. The certificate acknowledges these individuals’ commitment to effective teaching and can enhance their academic credentials.To qualify for this recognition, a graduate teaching assistant must have attended the full-day TA Orientation and at least five (5) programs of shorter duration offered by Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center. You can learn more about the certificate at facdev.niu.edu/tacert.
In the 2015-2016 academic year, 10 individuals earned the certificate:
- Catherine Ausland, Department of Biological Sciences
- Steven Chun, Department of Geography
- Brienne Durfey, Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Autumn James, Department of Geography
- Adam Lotito, Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education
- Rachel Martiniak, Department of Anthropology
- Jay Osvatic, Department of Biological Sciences
- Jennifer Volintine, Department of Anthropology
- Xiaoying Zhong, Department of Anthropology
- Yang Zhou, School of Music
It is easy to apply for the Faculty Development & Instructional Design Center Graduate Teaching Certificate! The application form is available online at facdev.niu.edu/tacertapp. If you have forgotten which workshops you have attended, or how many you have attended, you can review your workshop history at facdev.niu.edu/myprograms. Log in with both your A-ID and Z-ID to see all of your programs (if you have used different IDs at different times).
New for 2016-2017, we are offering to provide a recommendation on recipients’ LinkedIn Profiles, to validate the recognition. This was highly valued by TAs who responded to our recent campus-wide survey.
Certificates are sent to the teaching assistants’ department to acknowledge their commitment to effective teaching and present the certificates to them. If TAs need a few more workshops to qualify for the certificate, they are encouraged to check the current schedule of TA programs on the Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center website.