NIU’s Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center is seeking nominations for the 2017 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistant Awards.
These awards acknowledge outstanding graduate teaching assistants for their contributions to the teaching mission of NIU.
Each recipient of the award will be presented with a plaque and recognized at the Graduate Students Reception sponsored by the Graduate School at the end of the spring semester.
At least one of the awards will be presented to an outstanding teaching assistant pursuing a master’s degree.
To be eligible for this award, each candidate must:
- be enrolled as a graduate student in good standing at NIU during the semester the award nominations are due;
- have been employed as a graduate teaching assistant for one or more semesters (excluding the semester of nomination) during the past 2 years at NIU;
- have been responsible for teaching a course fully as the primary instructor of record or teaching-related support (example: leading discussions, grading, tutoring, recitation, etc.) which involved student contact as part of the graduate teaching assistant employment;
- have contributed above and beyond the general expectations of the position; and
- have not previously received this award at NIU.
Nomination Process and Deadline
Each academic or academic support unit that employs graduate TAs for teaching and related activities is invited to nominate two (2) outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistants, one at the master’s level and the other at the doctoral level, from its department/school for the awards. Nominations should be submitted by the head of the academic department/school or designee.
Nominators must complete the nomination form for each nominee and email it with any supporting documents by Friday, March 3, 2017 to email@example.com with the subject line “Nomination for 2017 Outstanding TA Awards.”